Rooted: Not Your Obvious Choice
In the Bible, you will notice a pattern to the people God chooses. He chooses people who are not obvious choices, from a human perspective, to do the jobs He wants them to do.
- David wasn‘t the obvious choice to be king.
- Gideon wasn‘t the obvious choice to fight the Midianites.
- Rahab wasn’t the obvious role model for girls.
- The disciples weren‘t the obvious choices to be world-changing leaders.
There‘s a reason God chooses the way He does. God chooses those in whom He can develop a strong root system. And it’s actually to His advantage to choose those who don‘t feel qualified for the job, because they are less likely to think they can rely on themselves to make anything happen.
(Excerpts taken from Rooted but Banning Liebscher)
Hang on a minute!!!!???
- Does this mean we need to live or feel defeated to hope someday we will be used of God in some way??????
- You better say “NO!” 😉 Seriously, though the answer is no, but with that being said, let’s take a deeper look into what is being said.
What God desires, what this author is describing, what I concur, is this…it boils down to the heart! It is a heart issue!
- You cannot be filled with yourself and filled with God at the same time.
- You cannot be filled with yourself and think that you are somehow usable in God’s service. The two are like oil and water. Flesh and Spirit. You cannot serve two masters. It is impossible!
Does this mean we have to be ‘perfect’ to be God-usable? I should be hearing another loud, “NO!” When you hear a statement like that, know this, that it is an excuse…it is a heart issue.
- In our sinful state, we are just that, fallen.
- But through Jesus Christ we have victory through the Cross! We are saved by His love and grace. He has made a way for redemption! Restoration! (Praise GOD!)
- On this side on Glory (Heaven) we will fail, mess up, let someone down, there are no doubts about it. But this too, includes our flesh will let God down as well. BUT the story doesn’t have to end there…that is where we continue and blossom, where being a child of God changes everything. Because of Christ we have a way of repentance, we have forgiveness, we have reconciliation — to ask, to give, to receive. Through Christ’s empowerment and hope we can continue to grow in Him, put on Christlikeness, and be personally molded by the Master’s hands, and be usable! Glory, Hallelujah!
- Don’t beat yourself up. (fyi: did you know that this is a form of self-pride…don’t do it, it is not worth it! God forgives you –isn’t that good enough?)
- Don’t be filled with yourself. (fyi: this too, is pride.)
There is a balance; that balance is established in Christ alone!
I Corinthians 1:26-31 “For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should Glory in His presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God–and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him Glory in the Lord.”
- One last thought…
…they are truly wiser than they know, but God knew that all along!